Thursday, March 13, 2008

Correspondence: more on web portal from Queen's IT

I have been setting up the web portal and exploring all the features of it for the past few days. Each student gets a "queen's faculty of business" e-mail account that is accessed through the web portal and has functionality similar to outlook. A few of the features this online resource includes are a list of resources for each class, assignment schedule, meeting room booking tools, online file storage, housing links, and a student roster. There are others items, but this is just a few. Most of them are blank since a lot of the web portal hasn't been setup.

Also, it appears as though I may have a second e-mail account associated with my registration as a student with Queen's "university" that is separate from my "business" e-mail account. From what I have read the university will exclusively use this account to communicate with students. You can forward it to another account, but all information regarding tuition, schedules, and other notifications will be sent directly to this account. Not sure if I have this correct, but I will find out for sure in approximately 53 days...not that I'm counting.

I had setup my "student roster", but wasn't seeing any other students. After e-mailing Queen's IT, I was informed that the web portal will not become fully functional until the program starts. I can see why they might do that, but at the same time I think it would be useful to put students in contact with each other prior to the program via bulletin board or chat group. That way they could assist each other or share information regarding housing or student visas/study permits. This wouldn't help me since I have housing arranged and I'm a Canadian, but for some of the other individuals that have contacted me through this blog it could be useful.

For now I will just have to focus on the pre-study material sent.

No comments: