Thursday, March 1, 2007

Test Day: Moment of Truth

Wrote the GMAT today.

I took the day off work. Woke up a little late. Felt tired from last nights frantic studying. Got dressed in some comfortable jeans and a T-shirt. Ate and studied. Tried to cram more of the "special" triangles and other math tricks into my brain. Listened to my psych-up song, "New Orleans is Sinkin''" by the Tragically Hip, and headed out for the test. Walked to the test center on a nice crisp day in March.

Signed in. There were about 8 other people there. They made me give a digital signature and took my picture. Some other stuff. Apparently there are some people that will try to get other "professional" test takers to write for them. I can see why you might try that on the test, but you can't fake intelligence and smarts in the interview or in the program. I don't see why you would fake a test. If you aren't going to cut it, the test is the cheapest and quickest way to discover. The only person you are hurting is yourself. Oh well.

I brought some juice boxes for the breaks to keep my blood sugar from dropping. I knew I was going to be on my best game. Especially after last nights dismal 540 on the practice test.

Test started at 1 PM.

The first essay was okay. Very thankful I found the list of GMAT essay questions on the MBA website. Sure there were 500 essay questions, but it really helped me get the idea of what would come at me. The first essay was like something from high school. Thesis with introductory paragraph. Three paragraphs following with each paragraph addressing a specific item in the thesis statement. Finally a conclusion. The break was welcomed. Quick juice to get my blood sugar up.

Second essay was okay, but more defend your opinion which is always difficult. The second break I took I used the bathroom and had my final juice box.

The CAT portion. Wow. Tough. I couldn't believe some of the questions that came at me.

Test finished at 5 PM.

In the end all worth it.

My score.....690! YES!

That is pretty much good enough for anywhere with the right work experience. Not bad for 1 week of studying.

Wonder what I could have got with more time to study...

No comments: