Saturday, March 10, 2007

Discussion with MBA Grad: Full-Time Ivey MBA

I mentioned my MBA ambitions to one of the consultants working at my place of employment and he said he knew someone I absolutely had to meet. He put me in contact with a longtime colleague of his that was currently working for a junior oil and gas company.

This individual had been working as a professional drilling engineering in the early 1980's. He had enough experience at the time to be an expert in deep basin drilling, but decided to take a year off to travel Europe. After travelling he returned for a 2 year full time MBA at
Richard Ivey School of Business at the The University of Western Ontario located in London, Ontario.

Upon graduation he returned to Alberta, but it was 1987 and the oil and gas industry was in ruins from the National Energy Program (NEP). He found work in other industries, but nothing as lucrative as what he had been doing. After about a decade the industry had recovered enough that he was able to find a suitable position.

He swears the MBA cost him at least a million dollars of lost opportunity if not more. His assessment includes the decreased wages he took because he couldn't come back to the oil and gas industry immediately.

He may be correct, but as a high paid expert deep basin drilling engineer I don't know if he would have been safe in the post NEP economy of Alberta.

One thing is for sure, leaving the industry you want to be in at the wrong time can be bad news. I will definately have to think this decision through before I go back.

I am really glad I met this guy because I know I have done my research when I have someone telling me the otherside of the story. All I have been hearing from the media, friends, and colleagues is that the MBA is great. Now I have found a guy that is telling me the MBA ruined his life.


Is an MBA Overrated? Checkout this article.

Other MBA Grads I had discussions with:

No comments: