Friday, February 8, 2008

Correspondence: More from Queen's on IT

After shopping around I noticed that it would be cheaper to purchase a laptop/notebook with the software bundled with it than to purchase it separately. So, I decided to ask Queen's what software was going to be provided.

After a little back and forth I have been told that at the start of the program students will be given a copy of MS Office 2007 professional, which includes Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, Publisher, and Access. I'm not sure if this copy is downloadable off of a server or if hardcopies will be distributed (A comment made on this entry has informed me that you will recieve a hardcopy disc). This software is for the students to keep and use indefinitely. However, it has been licensed through an academic license, which means it is not to be used in a business or "for-profit" setting.

At this time I think I will utilize the software provided by Queen's, since I don't anticipate needing a fully licensed copy on my personal laptop for a business setting after completing the program. If that changes I can upgrade later and turn it into a "business expense".

2 comments:

Bresslau said...

You'll get a disc with the software on it. Having Office 2007 installed is paramount, as you will be reviewing documents back and forth. There is other software provided, like antivirus. Together with the open source options available around the web, you shouldn't have to pay much for software.
Cheers and good luck,
Fernando
www.bresslau.blogspot.com

Appleseed said...

Thanks for you comments Fernando. If you have anyother information please let me know so I can post it.