Saturday, February 2, 2008

Financing: Scholarships

Through one of the people that has contacted me I have learned that Queen's recently awarded them a scholarship for $15,000. They were contacted by e-mail and will recieve the official paper work by courier. The scholarship is to be paid out in two installments; one at the start of each semester. Also, this person seems to be a very highly qualified candidate from what I can deduce from the information they have shared with me. Therefore, it seems Queen's may be using the scholarships in part to keep highly qualified candidates from going else where. This strategy makes sense and I don't doubt everyother school is using a similar strategy.

Prior to hearing this information I had taken an educated guess that approximately 2 weeks after the deadline is when they would start awarding the scholarships. Queen's had stated only applications recieved by January 15th would be consider for scholarships. So, hearing about a person recieving a scholarship at the end of January or beginning of February makes sense. Furthermore, it can't take more than 2 to 4 weeks to notify the recipients and confirm their acceptance. Therefore, I'm guessing that if you don't hear from Queen's by about the middle to end of February concerning scholarships, you won't.

That being said I still haven't heard from Queen's regarding a scholarship, which very likely means I won't.

Also, I had previously mentioned another scholarship. Since the deadline has come and gone I can post it here. It was the Engineers Canada-TD Meloche Monnex scholarship for professional engineers in Canada returning to school to study a subject other than engineering. There is also a scholarship for professional engineers in Canada returning to school to study engineering futher.

No comments: