Thursday, February 7, 2008

Financing: more on Scholarships

Lori Garnier, the MBA Associate Director at Queen's, called me today in response to my e-mail regarding the status of scholarships. It is nice to have an actual phone conversations rather than a quick e-mail. Much more personable and even though I know I am one of many students I really got the feeling that Lori gave a damn. This is very much the complete opposite of my undergraduate experience where they almost seemed to want me disappear.

From our conversation I learned that the 1st round of scholarships has been completed. They are now moving to the 2nd round. By the end of February, they expect all the scholarships to be awarded. My initial guess was correct about these items.

I was wrong about not still being considered. I am still on the list for a possible scholarship in the 2nd round. There is no guarantee I will get one, but there is also no guarantee that I won't. I am really glad that I applied early to ensure both my spot in the program and that I was well ahead of the deadline for applications that would be considered for scholarships.

Again, I will post the other scholarship I applied for since the deadline has passed. It was the Engineers Canada-TD Meloche Monnex scholarship for professional engineers in Canada returning to school to study a subject other than engineering. There is also a scholarship for professional engineers in Canada returning to school to study engineering futher.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sir,
I have an interview tomorrow, telephonic. ANY feedback is appreciated. Which other schools if any did you apply to???

Appleseed said...

Pinchi, first and foremost put your best foot forward and be yourself. For smaller MBA programs like Queen's the fit between the program and the candidate is vey important. Unless you're honest you might find yourself in a program that doesn't suit you and that means you're not getting the best value for your tuition.

Also, if they didn't already like what they have seen from your resume and essay questions they wouldn't be calling you. Remember that they already think you might be a good fit for the program since they are moving to the next step by inviting you to interview with them.

Finally, Queen's MBA prgram has a very heavy emphasis on team. Team, team, team. How do you function in a team? What past teams have you been apart of? What would you do in the following difficult team scenario? I'm sure each interview is unique for every cadidate, but I'm fairly confident the theme of team and teamwork is consistant.

Good luck with your interview. Please e-mail and let me know how it went at "appleseed@live.ca".