Friday, May 30, 2008

Week 4: Acquisition & Analysis of Information for Management, Global Environment of Business and lots of reading (Module 2 con't)

Another week as blown by. In a word I would summarize it as "intense".

This week we only had MBA860 Acquisitions & Analysis of Information for Management (a.k.a. statistics). A few days were morning and afternoon sessions, which made for some really long days. However, if you are going to cover an entire undergraduate statistics course in 3 weeks you need the time to move through the material. I'm kind of feeling like "Neo" in the first "Matrix" movie when they plug him in and "upload" Kung Fu to his brain only for me it is statistics and microeconomics.

We also wrote our first midterm test in MBA860. A 90 minute, 3 question, open book test that was constructed in such a way that it covered all the topics covered so far. We were allowed to bring books, notes, and laptops into the exam. After the test we had a 20 minute break and then we were back in class continuing to push through new material.

In addition we had a team assignment due in both MBA860 and MBA800.

With the jump in workload compounded by our first test, the team structure was definitely tested. Although things didn't necessarily happen in the most efficient way, I don't think there is anyway we could have completed the work required individually. I'm beginning to wonder if they purposely shovel so much work at the students so they must use the team to complete everything. Between completing assignments, studying for the test, completing pre-reading and reviewing course material all your time is gone. I don't know how we're supposed to find time to participate in the clubs and extra curricular activities let alone find time to exercise.

Last night's point four was great. We went to the "Queen's Pub"(a.k.a. "QP"), which is the pub here on campus. To make things even better a lot of people from last years class were there since they had returned to Kingston for their official convocation today. After a rather trying week, I think everyone appreciated the opportunity to cut loose and it provided a great opportunity to talk to the previous class about their experience and where some of them have found employment. The down side was more than a few tired eyes in this mornings statistics lecture. The fatigue of the week coupled with a late night definitely is having an affect most of us. I can't wait to sleep in tomorrow.

Today I had my first appointment with the Business Career Center (BCC). It was a good session and I definitely think the guidance they are going to give me will result in a great covering letter and resume. It was good to revisit the skill set I'm bringing with me and to review where I might see myself going after completing the program.

In addition I had my first call from my strengths coach, which is associated with the Gallup Strengths finder test we completed as part of the pre-study material. Although it was nice to review my strengths again, I don't think the call really helped all that much. Need to wait and see how the next session goes to see if these one-on-one calls will be of use. Kind of hard for a person you have never met to just call you and have a meaningful impact on you through a telephone.

This weekend will be filled with more studying since the statistics and microeconomics finals are next week. I also need to complete my part of the team statistics assignment and work on my talking points for the team presentation in microeconomics next week. Then there is the additional work on my resume the BCC needs me to complete. To top that off I still need to find some time for "me", spend time with my wife (who is probably wondering if I'm still alive), exercise, do laundry, watch the Stanley Cup finals and go grocery shopping. Oh ya, I need to update my blog...wait I'm doing that now!

No comments: