Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Correspondence: Talking with the Career Centre

David Edwards, the Director of the Career Centre for Queen's School of Business, called me today. I had requested someone from the Career Centre contact me so I could find out where a Canadian professional engineering with oil and gas experience could ended up after the program. I wanted this information for two reasons:

1. To find out if there were any career possibilities I could research now to ensure I was better informed to make a decision should one present itself while I'm in the program and busy with course work, and

2. Find out what type of compensation I might expect after graduation so I could see if I would be able to pay off the massive amount of debt I'm about to take on. Especially since it will add to the debt I'm still carrying from my first degree. (i.e. will I be able to afford a spacious fridge box or just a small computer box to live in afterwards...)

David mentioned that most graduates either head to finance or consulting. Neither of these mean too much to me. He tried to explain, but it all seemed very high level and vague. No specifics. He mentioned it was hard to get into specifics since most of the answers I wanted I could only get by taking a class on "finance" or the such. I agree with him, but that still doesn't help me with my anxiety concerning the uncertainty that is my future.

He did mention that they like all students to "keep an open mind" and to consider all the possibilities that present themselves. He also mentioned that from day one in the program the staff at the Career Center work with the students to help them find what they might like and to assist them with finding a job.

Overall I was still left with a lot of questions, but I am encouraged that I will have a strong support network from the Career Centre. Also, David said he would send me some literature to try to help give me a better feel for a few of the opportunities I might be presented with. I'm looking forward to what he sends.

No comments: