Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Employment: Found some options

Came across the "Fortune" list of the top MBA employers for 2007.

Top 25 list. Has brief breakdown and profile of each company.

Top 100 list. Just a list that includes the top 25 list.

I found the lists very heavily weighted to the US, but it was good to take a look at the individual companies websites. I was able to get a feel for what kind of opportunities might be available after graduating. The recruitment pages for numbers 2, 3, 4, and 5 (McKinsey&Company, Goldman Sachs, Bain&Company, and Boston Consulting Group respectively) were insightful as to where these organizations would try to fit you and what your career path for the first 5 years might look like. The interview process for all of them seems very rigorous and there seems to be a lot of competition for a limited number of spots with these big names.

If you do check out these companies, make sure you also check them out at wikipedia. I found it to be a little more transparent. It lays the corporate structure and culture out in a much more logicial manner that allows you to see the benefits and drawbacks to these orgnaizations. For example McKinsey&Company has an "up or out" policy that isn't mentioned in the recruitment site. That could make the environment a little bit more competive than one would initially assume from all the smiling faces.

I'm not assuming I will even try to get into these organization or that I would even be able to, but I'm sure that there are other organizations I might find an opportunity with that would be similar in corporate structure, function, and experience. I'm not even sure if I would want to move my career in this direction, but looking at these organizations did give me a better idea what the "finance" and "strategic consulting" opportunities, mentioned by the Queen's Career Centre, might be like.

(Aside: also found this website that seems to have information on salaries at different organizations)

No comments: