Monday, April 7, 2008

Preparation: Things are gearing up

Things are now getting busy. I am into my last 2 weeks at work and they want every productive second they can squeeze out of me.

My wife and I are busy packing. With all the packing our apartment is a disaster and there are boxes everywhere. Already we have made a trip to both of our respective parent's houses to store items there while we are away. We were going to rent a storage locker, but I don't really know where I will end up after the program so that could have ended up being costly and inconvenient. A special thanks goes out to my parents and inlaws as they are providing crucial support to make this possible.

After receiving the letter that my student loan was approved most of the details surround the financing of this great adventure have fallen into place. So glad this has finally been sorted out.

I am still slogging through the last 1/3 of the accounting textbook sent as part of the pre-study material that needs to be completed prior to the program starting. It is hard to find time in the evening to work on it when I'm not already tired from everything else. I haven't even tried to review any of the statistics that were mentioned for one of the other courses. However, I have completed all the other pre-study material. The draft of my resume in the template sent by the Career Centre is complete, the personality testing is complete, the career quiz is complete, and the personal strengths finding material is complete. To top that off I have read most of the "career profile" material provided through the web portal for the various investment banking, venture capitalism and consulting positions that a lot of grads go onto after completing their MBAs.

I have purchased and received my laptop. I still need to get a carrying case and perhaps some other items for school yet. Just more items to add to an already long list.

Still don't have a possession date for our suite in Kingston. We need this date so we can commit to a departure date and book accommodations along the way ahead of time. We are already planning to drive 8 hours a day and I don't really want to have to drive around each town searching for a place to stay if it can be avoided.

That reminds me I need to call the utilities, phone, and cable companies to cancel all our services at the end of this month.

On top of that we are trying to see all the friends and family we can before we leave.

With all this going on I have pretty much given up on trying to go to the gym.

I have also been getting in touch with more and more of my future classmates. Turns out there is even a facebook group started for "Queen's MBA 2009". If you are reading this and you are part of "the Queen's MBA class of 2009" and haven't already looked the facebook group up, do so and join!

Okay, back to being busy.

No comments: